Saturday, June 26, 2010

Vintage Wedding Photos and an Anniversary






I meant to post yesterday but got kinda sidetracked....there wasn't a lot going on....but it was our anniversary, so I decided to post today instead. Yes, 'that old navy man' and I enjoyed our forty-fourth wedding anniversary yesterday, June 25th. We were married on a Saturday evening in the little Methodist church in Meridian, Texas...there were about twenty-four friends and relatives there...a small wedding, for sure. I made my own dress. My Dad not only gave me away...but was also the best man. He (the old Army man) and Richard (the old navy man) got along famously. My mother-in-law made the cake and we had a small reception at her house. There are no photos because the elder brother-in-law was to take photos and thinking his camera was in the trunk of the car, found it wasn't after it was too late to do anything about it. Well, it was 1966...things were different then.....especially in a tiny town in the heart of Texas.

No one thought it would last. And, really, I don't know why it did except that no one else would live with either of us and we sort of know that. Besides, I always tell people we have to stay together because I can't see and he can't hear. It works for us. My goal has always been 50 years and I'm holding out for that....

Anyway, since there are no photos of my wedding...I thought I'd show you some vintage photos of other people's weddings. People I don't know. I buy vintage photos because I love them and have no family photos to speak of....that old anyway. Aren't these brides just gorgeous? I'm always amazed to find these things in flea markets....I suppose the whole family of each of these people has died off and no one wanted them....well, except me. I think they are beautiful! And, I thought you might like to see them too.

The 'more recent' last photo is a wedding of a friend of mine....gee, it had to be 1964 or '65, as I wasn't married yet. That's me....the short person with the white glasses. If it was '64, I was 20 years old then. I vaguely remember the wedding. However, I do remember making the dress I am wearing...it was lavender. I also remember grumbling over having to wear that huge bow on the top of my head...but I did it anyway. It's weird to see 'me' back then....somedays it seems just yesterday...and other days....I believe this might be someone else entirely. And, I was thin.....sigh....

Yes, forty-four years..... just imagine!!! take care, pat

7 comments:

laura may said...

What gorgeous photos. I love looking at my nana's wedding photos.. they are so stylish & beautiful.

lm.x

Elderberry-Rob said...

Such a shame you have no pictures - the one of you in your friends wedding is so sweet, you were tiny. I will have to dig mine out as my anniversary is coming up next month! Congratulations on finding and keeping a good man.

Riet said...

Ohhh wowww Pat,What a beautiful photos.

Hugs Riet.xx

Francien said...

Oh Pat...those are really beautiful pictures...i love the second one...such a stylish and elegant dress and a lovely picture..and you were cute my friend!! your sticking out on that picture...very daring with those glasses but they were modern back then and it looks lovely...nice dress too!!...and yes...my weight was only 62 kilo`s when i got married....i have eaten a lot if i look down on the weightscale now..who invented those things anyway?!...thanks for sharing the lovely pictures...take care!!♥ Francien.

Anne said...

Happy Anniversary! Sounds to me like you don't necessarily need photographs of your nuptials because the details of your wedding are forever etched in your mind!

I love your photo collection. You look great as a maid of honor! What fond memories for you.

My daughter will marry on October 9, 2010 at Benton's First United Methodist Church. I am not making the whole dress, but I am re-making the bodice, which didn't fit even though it was supposed to be tailor-made to her measurements.

Regarding wedding photos, with what we're paying a photographer, we could take a nice vacation! Hope my daughter and future son-in-law will treasure their photos as much as you treasure the abandoned ones in your cherished collection!

Barbara C said...

Congratulations on your anniversary. It's a big milestone. I enjoyed the wedding photos: they make such a nice grouping together. When I was in high school I worked one summer at the Salvation Army sorting donations. One of the saddest things to me was getting boxes and albums full of old photos that must've once been special to someone. It's too bad that you don't have photos of your own wedding, but good for you for salvaging these old photos.

I remember when those big bows became fashionable. We wore them to church because they supposedly counted as hats. (!)

Amy R said...

Pat - Happy belated Anniversary! (mine was on the 18th) I loved this post. . . and I've saved it because I wanted to comment and thank you for sharing your life with us! How lucky we are. . . .

A Bit of Heaven

A Bit of Heaven
An original designed wall quilt with my vision of heaven on earth.