Saturday, January 23, 2010

"A Basket, A Heart, A Quilt"






Do you remember that I said 2010 would be my year of the 'basket?' Well, I said it and so far, this month, I've barely mentioned it. Not a good start. So, let's see if this post might make up for a little unintended neglect.

Here's a good example of what I mean by 'my year of the basket.' An appliqued example.
It seems my quilting has suffered also the last couple of years...oh, how I need to be more productive. This quilt was made around 2003. I very rarely use a pattern designed by someone else, but Robyn Pandolph was coming to Little Rock to teach a class and since I LOVED her fabrics, I took the class...and later made this quilt. The fabrics are wonderful!! And, before I forget, while making this quilt, I couldn't decide which fabric to use for the borders...so, that old navy man chose this fabric for me. I think he chose very well!

Applique is what I am known around here for and I loved making this quilt. Robyn's applique pieces are pretty large and easy to sew..very good for beginner's. And also fun for an experienced, old quilter, such as myself. Other than her fabrics, what attracted me to this quilt was three of the motifs...that very long, skinny heart, the very large basket and the birds. I was hooked the minute I saw the pattern! And, have fun, I did!

For years I had saved a very large, floral fabric, figuring I would eventually make a quilt and probably use it for the back. (I like the backs to look good too!) This quilt just screamed for it, if you ask me...hopefully, you can tell how great it is in this photo with my quilt label. Love it. Oh, and just in case someone wants to know, I like using a Micron Pigma pen, #01 or #5 for making my labels. And, I like ironing the label fabric to freezer paper, then writing - it is so much more like writing on a sheet of paper rather than wiggly fabric.

I always end up putting a heart on my quilts somewhere...if not on the front, then on the back or the label. This quilt is one example of doing that. Gosh, it was fun to make, and yes, it is handquilted. I just love it.

That basket really got to me...it's age has not decreased my enthusiasm for it and hopefully, throughout this year, I can show you more baskets. I'm getting excited just talking about it! Take care out there...pat

13 comments:

vivian said...

I can't stand how cute that is!!
I have that pattern so now I have to do it.....thanks.
Jane

Julie Whitmore Pottery said...

Its a beauty. and oh those floral fabrics........
xx
julie

BrenWall61@gmail.com said...

Oh my was it 2003 when Robyn Pandolph was here, is my Rabbit that old?? Your work is beautiful as always and it is so much you. Carry on with the baskets, you are inspired now for sure.

Cheryl said...

This quilt really speaks to me. How can you not have sweet dreams sleeping below this?

Karen said...

I adore this quilt, fabrics and the pattern!!

Caron at Michigan Quilts said...

Pat, I LOVE LOVE LOVE your quilt! So very pretty, soft, elegant.

parasols and maryjanes said...

This has truly captured my heart!! How absolutely lovely.All the most wonderful things--the pastel colors, appliques-you are a mazing, the antique flower baskets, and then, the placement in the room. How can one sleep there with one's head twisted around to gaze at the quilt? I would put my pillow at the foot of the bed!!
CArol

FredaB said...

This is a beautiful pattern. I love the look of the long thin basket. It looks like it would be a fun one to do and you did it very well.

It looks beautiful hanging above the bed.

Hugs

FredaB

Cindy P said...

I love baskets too! That is such a pretty quilt.

FrenchGardenHouse said...

OH! My goodness, Pat, what a beautiful, beautiful piece. Thanks so much for taking the time to email me today. I do love your heart, too! xo Lidy

Barbara C said...

This pattern is lovely, and your quilt is so nicely displayed and labeled.

NickiLee said...

Pat, your quilt is so soft and pretty - I just love it. I've always wanted to make a quilt using all my Robin Pandolph fabrics but I've been too chicken to cut them. Seeing your quilt makes me want to start on one now.

JOLENE said...

Breathtaking!! What an absolutely gorgeous quilt!!!! LOVE it!

A Bit of Heaven

A Bit of Heaven
An original designed wall quilt with my vision of heaven on earth.