Friday, March 27, 2009

One AWOL Project, Finished and SOLD!






As you saw in my last post, I spent last weekend at our guild "Arkansas Women on the Loose" retreat. I am already looking forward to the next one a year from now. In fact, I was just wishing there was another one THIS weekend too. No such luck, so I will be patient and plan on a great time next March. If there is a retreat like this in your area, by all means, try to attend. There is nothing as much fun as being with like-minded people, working, laughing, sharing and learning.

I thought I would show you one of the projects I worked on during the weekend. My goal was to finish three pincushions. One was a gift and two were to go to my etsy shop. I will show you two of the three in my next post. However, one of the two I meant to put on etsy is no longer available, so I'll tell that story too.

I finished the littlest pincushion, which was a gift to one of my readers. The second one finished I am putting on my etsy in the next few days. I will show both of those to you the first of the week. The largest pincushion (perhaps my favorite I've made so far) was the hardest to finish and is that second one I was going to list on etsy. This pincushion is one of the three I said a few weeks ago I would show you when finished. So here's the scoop on it:

I had all the embroidery done before I left for the retreat. My goal was to bead these three. Of course, when you go to AWOL, you generally take more work than you can actually DO, so I also had some crochet, some cross-stitch and some beaded flowers along "in case" I finished more than I thought I would. We forget how much time we spend talking, looking at other people's work, etc., so I always wind up taking more than I need. And, that's ok.

Now, back to the pincushion....I never know in advance how I will bead these things, so I did about two inches of beading and decided I didn't like it. Pulled it all out and started over...let's see...about three times. Later, getting frustrated, I thought if I didn't make a decision, I'd still be working on it when the retreat was over...so I went back to my original idea. ALWAYS TRUST YOUR FIRST INSTINCT!!! Hours later, it seemed, the pincushion was finished. And, surprise, surprise...I liked it! (I'm way too critical of my own work, so am rarely satisfied with the finished product.)

As we do at the retreat, we show and tell when something is finished, so as I was showing the pincushion to some of my friends, Carol Ann inquired as to whether it was for sale. As I stated, it was intended to go into my etsy shop, so yes, it was for sale. Long story short, she bought it right then and there. She loved it enough to give me money for it. I think that is the supreme compliment. And, I am glad it has a good home!

So, here you see the pincushion....some of my painted, vintage, dresser scarf fabric with silk ribbon embroidery and a beaded edge. I love the feather stitch circle within the square. The colors are "different" for me and turns out I really liked using these colors. And, you see my friend, Carol Ann, with her new pincushion. She was thrilled and so was I. How nice is that?

Yes, I did get to go home with my three main projects finished. Some make quilt tops while there, and I make tiny, hand-stitched, tedious things. As our youngest attendee said "Is that all you do is make pincushions?" Well, it probably seems that way as I've decided 2008 is my "year of the pincushion," however, I can and do make other things. Will anything top this particular one? I don't know, but you know I will keep trying!!!

A good time was had by all and many beautiful things were created and finished at this retreat. But, you know, the enjoyment we had of each other makes everything else pale in comparison. Loved it! Anyone else ready for next year? Pat

14 comments:

BrenWall61@gmail.com said...

Looking forward to next year and to next week,when I get 3 whole days at Ferndale, and Thursday at your place. I am the luckiest friend in the world.

Anne said...

The pincushion is exquisite! I love the ribbon embroidery. Did you paint the center piece of fabric? I like the effect of the muted colors taken from other elements of the pincushion. You are so very talented!

Cheryl said...

Your pincushion was just luscious, and if it had made it to your etsy site, I would have claimed it. I collect pincushions and just love yours. Do you want to make another to sell?

Unknown said...

Hi Pat, WOW what a pincushion, i really love the green, such a wake up colour! Not to mention the embroidery, really beautiful!
Rosie x

Bethany said...

I love the pincushion. It's gorgeous!

StitchinByTheLake said...

What a beautiful pincushion - and Carol Ann was smart to grab it! blessings, marlene

Unknown said...

The AWOL event in your previous post looks like something I would love to go to!

This pincushion is absolutely gorgeous! I can see why it was snatched up so quickly! It is a beautiful work of art! Anyone would be EVER so lucky to have any of your stitching!

Hope you stop on by for my 1st Blogoversary/100th post celebration! I'm even having a giveaway! Do come on over! Everyone is invited!!! :)

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness, this pincushion is absolutely stunning and Carol Ann is one lucky lady to beat me to it. I certainly would have purchased it on the Etsy site. You work is just out of this world!

Have you ever thought about running a booth at the major quilt shows, such as the Mancuso Shows? I'm sure your work would sell like hot cakes.

NickiLee said...

What a gorgeous pincushion! I know how happy and thrilled she must be to own one of your pieces of art as I am a lucky gal too!

I just received the pretty blue pincushion you surprised me with and will cherish it forever - absoltuely stunning! Thank you so much with much love and lots of hugs!

Gayle said...

Thank you. My booklet arrived yesterday after I returned from my youngest daughter's soccer game. I think I'll add "Always trust your first instinct" to the booklet after reading this post
:-). Your booklet made my day.
Oh, I was working on one of our travel scrapbooks, and finished the Searcy, Arkansas page (all related to genealogy). AWOL sounds like a great group. I attend a similar retreat at Lake Tahoe and it is so good for the soul.

Quiltgal said...

The Pin Cushion is beautiful. Can I ask how you paint the background fabric. Please consider doing a tutorial. Your work is exquisite. Thank you so much for sharing it with us.

Robin said...

'S been while since I visited... fun to catch up on the retreat, your fabric-shopping-therapy trip, and of course your lovely pin cushion story. Of course, somebody snapped it up!!! It's precious. That's the thing about pin cushions... mundane sewer's tool, yet at the same time often among the most treasured and precious of our possessions. Besides, you know what I believe... the more you concentrate on making a single thing, and making it better each time, the more you imporve your artistry. You are well on your way! Robin A.

Gaby Bee said...

Your pincushion is incredible, Pat! Definitely one of my favorites that you have made. Love all the details on this! The color is gorgeous...it reminds me of spring.
Gaby xo

Thearica said...

Yes, very exquisite and I would have bought it on the spot too! I am learning SRE! I wish to be half as good as you!

A Bit of Heaven

A Bit of Heaven
An original designed wall quilt with my vision of heaven on earth.